Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fenway likes to eat...

This post has little to do with Fenway... he just likes to eat. He also enjoys toys, treats... and while he may not enjoy baths, ear cleaning or teeth brushing, those things must be done, too. And they all cost money. There is this saying I've heard - "You can never be too thin or have too much money." And money is something more than a few of us are short of these days... or maybe while you're not short, you are worried about it. Right?

When I meet with people they tell me I have a great resume... so much experience! You've worked at all the right places! Doing a little bit of everything is not a bad thing... think of your top 5 places you'd like to work... And I polish my resume, write cover letters, do informational interview after informational interview all while keeping a smile on my face. It's a humbling experience to say the least.

Things I've learned...
It's not about what you know - it's who you know. So true! Thinking back I realized that none of my jobs came from answering a posting online. I heard about each of them from someone who thought I'd be a good fit, served as a reference and got my little bootie in the door.

There isn't a "right" way to write a resume. So many people will tell you that they have the perfect way, the only way... it's so not true! It should be clear and free of erros. Have friends, colleagues or your boss read it. Your resume should shout "This is what I'm good at! This is what I've done!" but it should also be a teaser and leave the reader wanting to know more. If a potential employer figures out everything from one page of paper than what's the point of bringing you in. Leave them wanting more.

Be outgoing. If you are afraid to ask for something (an interview, a job, a chance, the right salary) you probably won't get it. Just don't be obnoxious. Oh, and do your research. Especially on the salary thing.

On salary again... do your research, but ask for what you want and base it off your industry, your potential job (hopefully it's been offered if your'e talking dough) and your previous salaries. I got a great piece of advice from a mentor of mine - "You are never overpaid for work you do!"

I'm sure I'll think of more gems...

So, Fenway is a daily reminder that I'm struggling in my job search. It's a good thing we've switched from his $60 a bag food to Trader Joe's (nutritionally it's the same and he likes it more). Because no matter my employment status - he will keep on wanting to eat.

No comments: